Perry has made energy exploration and drilling for oil a central tenant of his policy for fixing the economy as a Republican presidential candidate.
When Sean Hannity asked Perry about the Keystone XL pipeline on the radio Tuesday, Perry blasted Obama.
“That is stunning to me. Those tar sands are going to either go west to China or south to the United States,” Perry said, later adding “Buying Canadian crude and bringin’ it in to the United States makes abundant good sense. And this president is putting American soldiers’ lives in jeopardy with this as well as the security of America.”
Listen to the full interview above.
The pipeline project would carry oil from the tar sands in Alberta, Canada to Texas refineries. Those against the pipeline worry about the harm a spill or a leak could cause in the central region of the U.S.
“This is not an environmental issue. There are pipelines all across that part of the United States that have been safely movin’ petroleum products for years,” Perry said.
Perry tied it to a security issue, saying American soldiers are tied up with countries in the Middle East that are hostile towards the U.S.
“This is about catering to [Obama's] base and the radical environmental base out there,” Perry said. “And it is about American jobs, but even more importantly it is about the security of America.”
- Canada PM Harper Tries Bullying to Get Keystone XL Pipeline Through (news.firedoglake.com)
- Obama: Supporting The Keystone XL Pipeline Would Mean Making Union Workers Happy But Anger Environmentalists. Clearly Then I Must Vote “Present” (minx.cc)
- Allen West: Obama’s Delay of Keystone XL Pipeline is “Pathetic” (allenwestrepublic.wordpress.com)
- Keystone XL Backlash: Canada Shifts Focus Away From U.S. (huffingtonpost.com)
- How the Keystone XL pipeline would help the US, and why some oppose it (csmonitor.com)
- Deal to divert Keystone XL pipeline puts heat on Obama (theglobeandmail.com)